Ten fun and educational bilingual TV shows for children
Television, and the excess watching of it, is often regarded as detrimental to young children. Not all television is bad for children, though. Actually, some educational television shows can be good for children. Of course, all shows should be watched with children to emphasize and explain the topics to them. In some instance, television shows can also help bilingual students with pronunciation and culture. Just like everything else, moderation is key.
Here are 10 television shows that are characteristic of award winning entertainment because of their:
- variety in the educational program,
- adaptability to lesson planning, and
1. Sesame Street or Plaza Sésamo – This amazing television show has been around for over 40 years. It is shown in more than 150 countries and countless languages. By the 1970s, Sesame Street was produced in Spanish and Portuguese to further demonstrate the value of this educational program. Whether in English, Spanish, or any other language, parents are always assured that they can find useful information in regards to literacy, math, science, and social skills. Duration: 30-60 minutes
2. Los Pies Mágicos de Franny – In this Spanish version of the English show, Franny uses the shoes in her grandfather’s shoe repair store to learn about the different cultures around the world. It is a wonderful way to learn about the many different countries and their culture. Duration: 30 minutes
3. Cinco Minutos Más – In this adorable Spanish show, see how friends work together to solve some common problems. It is a great way to teach kindness and teamwork. Duration: 30 minutes
4. Sid the Science Kid – What a great way to learn science than with Sid and his friends in school and around the home. Although it’s an English television show, parents can still print out lessons or activities and adapt them into Spanish. Duration: 30 minutes
5. Super Why – An excellent educational program that teaches and promotes literacy. With Wyatt and his friends, it’s always more fun to learn how to read with the super readers. Duration: 30 minutes
6. Word World – It teaches literacy in the most innovative way: to learn print awareness and phonics with simple word formation. Besides, the words are in context throughout the show. It’s like having a book come to live every time a theme story is presented. Duration: 30 minutes
7. Angelina Ballerina – This is such a cute show about a little mouse that is dreaming of becoming a famous ballerina. It’s a great show to learn about social and behavioral skills. Duration: 30 minutes
8. Little Einsteins – In this Disney television show, it’s great to see the appreciation to classical music doesn’t have to be boring. These friends know how to have fun by playing Beethoven or Mozart in each problem solving show. Duration: 30 minutes
9. Umizoomi – In this NickJr television show, children have the opportunity to learn about patterns, math, and problem solving. Math doesn’t have to be boring with repetitive exercises. In this show, you can get fun activities to introduce patterns and numbers. Duration: 30 minutes
10. Dora the Explorer – In this NickJr 10 year old show, children can go on adventures with Dora and her monkey companion Boots. The show introduces Spanish words in very easy to understand themes. Duration: 30 minutes
If any of these shows are unavailable in your area, you can contact your local television broadcast to incorporate them into the listings.
Are any of these television shows your favorite?
Did you grow-up watching any of these shows?