Thanksgiving Bilingual Activities for Kids
Thanksgiving bilingual activities can consist of a variety of things to do. You could easily create a writing or reading activity about Thanksgiving.
Also, you might use specific vocabulary in English and Spanish to develop different activities. Using themes around holidays or particular times of the year can engage students in many ways.
Besides enriching vocabulary and strengthen language skills, themes in lessons activate prior knowledge. In this way, your students acquire skills in more meaningful ways.
Quick Spanish Lessons Using Themes
Developing Spanish or bilingual lessons doesn’t require a long time to write out and put together. Creating a lesson schedule or plan of the topics you want to cover during the week can help you stay focused and avoid a last-minute rush.
For instance, if you use the Thanksgiving theme throughout November, you would gather the necessary materials for that theme. Then, you can apply the same idea for other monthly themes. Since most classes might have a designated school calendar to follow, you probably need to adhere to those dates.
So, take into consideration school breaks and holidays when lesson planning. When looking for learning materials, you might want to look for resources that can support multiple topics.
For instance, dual-language reading can help your students with vocabulary, writing, and fine-motor skills. Integrating various skills within a few resources saves your time.
Thanksgiving Bilingual Activities
The Thanksgiving bilingual activities using the turkey and feathers encourages your students to learn Spanish colors, pronunciation, and syllable identification.
There are many ways to learn Spanish colors. From hands-on experiences, coloring worksheets to reading about colors, use the Thanksgiving theme to enhance learning.
- Free Thanksgiving bilingual activities worksheets
- Colors: green, blue, red, yellow, purple, and orange
- Markers, pencils, or crayons
- Safety scissors
- Styrofoam plate or paper plate
- Print the Free turkey with color word feathers worksheets
- Color each feather with markers, color pencils, or crayons
- Optional: color the turkey brown if you’d like
- Cut each feather and set aside with each respective turkey
- Use the Spanish color key to match the Spanish and English colors
- Optional: Watch the video on how to explore more ways to use Spanish colors with these turkeys
- Assemble each turkey separately with each respective Spanish color feathers
- Paste each feather to each turkey and set aside
Another fun game to learn Spanish colors with Thanksgiving turkeys and feathers is to use a Styrofoam plate. In this case, use the large turkey template instead of the small turkeys.
Bilingual Learning Ideas for Kids
In the same way as before, color and cut each Spanish color feather. You can set aside the small turkeys.
- Next, cut the large template of the turkey.
- If you’d like, you can color or paint the turkey brown.
- You might want to wait until the paint dries.
- Then, paste the turkey to the plate.
- On the rim of the plate, punch eight small holes.
- Use the Spanish color key to place each letter of the Spanish color in order.
- It would be helpful to say the letters or words as your students say the terms.
- For help on pronunciation, watch the video for more useful tips.
- Next, you can continue with each Spanish color feather.
For this activity, use syllables of each color as you pronounce each word.
Other Fun Bilingual Thanksgiving Ideas
Other ways to use this Thanksgiving bilingual worksheet is to print each page on color paper. If you have different color paper, use it to distinguish between colors instead of coloring the feathers and turkey.
Also, you can use a different color for each turkey. Another useful way is to paste each color turkey on small paper plates. Then, you can paste each feather afterward.
For a more engaging activity, you can use color feathers found at craft stores. Instead of coloring or using color paper, you can place each color feather on the large turkey or small turkey.
In addition to learning Spanish colors in these Thanksgiving bilingual activities, you can add Spanish Thanksgiving vocabulary. In that way, you enrich your students understanding of Spanish reading skills and support other content areas.
When you use multiple ways for your students to learn or implement language skills, you reinforce bilingual learning.
Thanksgiving bilingual activities can include reading, printables, and vocabulary. With a fun Thanksgiving turkey and colors, you can easily create many activities.
Besides learning Spanish colors, you can also use bilingual activities to refresh pronunciation or other vocabulary words.