Memorial Day easy and fun craft for children
As parades and concerts may be filled with flags and other decorations, the representation of the red-white-blue doesn’t have to end there. Children can also make beautiful and easy crafts to commemorate those fallen soldiers that fought for freedom.
Waving flags and streamers are the most popular decorations used during a Memorial Day parade. But to salute those veterans and service men and women that walk by, this easy craft can bring honor to those brave soldiers.
Also, it is a great gift to present to anyone that has served to protect the freedom in America and around the world.
In this easy and fun craft, you’ll create a flag and poem using very simple art materials. And many of them, you can find at home.
- Red, blue markers or crayons
- Red construction paper
- Flag pattern or design
- Decorative safety scissors
- Safety scissors
- Star stickers
- Star stamps
- Red ink stamp
- Transparent glue or glue stick
- Print out in color the flag pattern from the Culture section. If not possible to print in color, simply print in black and white.
- Color the stripes red and the star squares blue with markers or crayons.
- Let the markers set.
- Cut the flag pattern.
- Gently, paste the flag onto a red construction paper in the center of the page.
- Print the Memorial Day poem – “The Ultimate Sacrifice: A Memorial Day Poem” by Joanna Fuchs on blue or white paper.
- Use decorative scissors to cut a nice border around the poem.
- Paste the poem to the side of the flag.
- Add color star stickers to the border of the flag construction paper.
- Use red ink and a star stamp to give it a vintage look to the paper. Tip: use the stamp in between the edges of the papers.
- Display this beautiful poem and flag for all to see and honor those on Memorial Day.
For a translation of the poem in Spanish:
Ponemos hacia un lado cada y todo los años al Día de los Caídos
Para honorar a aquellos que dieron su vida defendiendo lo que es querido.
En todas las guerras oscuras y mortal
Sus tumbas prueban y nos hacen recordar
Nuestros valientes Americanos dieron lo todo para poner el peligro en el pasado.
Ellos hicieron el sacrificio más grandioso
Luchando por la idea Americana
Los admiramos y los respetamos
En cada Día de los Caídos.